This Chocolate Pomegranate Overnight Oats recipe provides a protein-packed, filling, blood sugar stabilizing and guiltless way to enjoy chocolate for breakfast.
Pomegranates rock! They are a major bonus of the fall harvest. The first time I ever saw a pomegranate was at Costco when I was offered a sample. I honestly had no idea what to do with it. Do you chew the seeds, or suck the juice? Turns out the seeds are the edible part of the fruit and they are fantastic! I have since enjoyed pomegranate seeds (arils) on yogurt, in salads, cooked into pancakes, and in whole grain side dishes like quinoa, farro, wheat berries, freekeh and sorghum.
Overnight oats have become somewhat of an obsession of mine. As a busy mom and full-time registered dietitian, the only way I guarantee myself a well balanced breakfast is to do some prep work in advance. This recipe can be made in less than 5 minutes, and a after few hours or overnight in the frig, it’s ready to grab and go.
This recipe is packed with 25 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber and contains only 280 calories. It’s also low in sodium with only 130mg! Both pomegranates and cocoa powder are delicious sources of natural antioxidants, and the beta glucan in oats has been shown to help lower LDL cholesterol. This recipe also provides 30% of the daily recommended value for calcium. Enjoy it as a post-workout refuel or a satisfying breakfast to prevent the mid-morning blood sugar crash. As with any overnight oats, it’s totally customizable. Add more pomegranate, increase the amount of sweetener or decrease the amount of cocoa powder if you prefer. It’s totally up to you. Enjoy!
Enjoy chocolate for #breakfast with this protein-packed Chocolate Pomegranate Overnight Oats Click To Tweet
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 packed Tablespoons (1/2 scoop) chocolate whey protein powder (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 packet stevia or preferred sweetener
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond, cashew or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- In a Mason jar or glass container add oats, chia, cocoa powder, protein powder and stevia and stir.
- Add almond milk and stir to combine.
- Add yogurt and stir again until no dry ingredients are visible.
- Add pomegranates, reserving a tablespoon to add to the top later for garnish.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Top with remaining pomegranate arils and enjoy.
Do you love overnight oats? What are some of your favorite combos? Please share with me in the comments below!