Enjoy summer’s bounty with this garden-fresh, gluten-free Zucchini Tomato and Onion Bake.
Summer vegetables and herbs can create an endless combination of healthy and yummy dishes. The only question is, how do you choose from the unbelievable deliciousness that is summer produce? Though I am not a gardener, I am thankful for farmer’s markets and my beloved Trader Joes to supply me with beautiful veggies. My Zucchini Tomato and Onion Bake can be served as a side dish to accompany almost anything.
As a kid, my uncle would gift us with gigantic zucchini and gorgeous tomatoes from his garden every summer. My mom always cooked up a few dishes on repeat that everyone in the family enjoyed; a zucchini au gratin and a similar zucchini, tomato and onion combo. Somehow, anything we made with his veggies always tasted better 🙂
This super easy recipe is wonderful with fish, chicken, barbecued meats or any other protein source you prefer. It’s very simple to make and looks so pretty on the table. Plus, with many people following particular dietary restrictions by need or by choice, this tasty side dish is gluten-free, low carb, keto-friendly and vegetarian.
Whenever we attend summer parties, I’m always concerned that the veggie choices will be severely lacking. I mean, how often do you see burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, macaroni salad and some lettuce and tomato as toppings? No worries, bring this to your next warm-weather gathering and you’ll certainly have a nutrient-rich dish to help you navigate the rest of the party offerings.
- 1 large zucchini, sliced very thin
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss zucchini, onions and olive oil in a large bowl. Add parsley, basil, salt and pepper and combine well.
- Spray an oven safe dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Create a pattern of alternating 3-4 zucchini slices with onion mixture and a slice of tomato until all the vegetables are in the dish.
- Top with a light mist of olive oil cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake another 20-25 minutes until cheese is nicely browned and vegetables are soft.
Makes 4 servings:
69 calories, 3.6g fat, 1.4g saturated fat, 5mg chol, 147mg sodium, 7.4g carbs, 2g fiber, 2.1g sugar, 3.8g protein.
This can be made with your vegetables of choice. If you need to lower the sodium content, use less added salt. You may also experiment with your favorite herbs. Garlic, thyme and rosemary are other suggested additions if you wish to increase the flavor. Reduced fat Parmesan cheese can also be used to slightly decrease the fat and calorie content.