Do you need your coffee in the morning but often skip the breakfast that should accompany it? This Protein Packed Skinny Vanilla Latte is your answer. Studies show that consuming 25-30 grams of protein at breakfast helps to decrease cravings and overeating later in the day. It can also maximize muscle synthesis which is important for athletes, anyone trying to lose weight, and those wishing to support their metabolism as they age. By combining coffee and protein powder in this super simple recipe, you get your cup of Joe and satisfying protein to boot. Make the coffee the night before to allow it to cool and blend away in the morning.
- ½ cup strong coffee (I used instant Starbucks Via)
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder- naturally sweetened with strevia (I prefer grass-fed whey)
- 1 packet stevia or preferred sweetener
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond or almond/coconut milk
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients until desired consistency is achieved. I use the ice crush/milkshake setting on my blender. Enjoy!
Makes 1 serving: 118 calories, 3.3g fat, 1.0g sat fat, 55mg chol, 140mg sodium, 4g carbs, .5 g fiber, 2g sugar, 18.6g protein
Tips: You can easily make this with decaf instant coffee. I prefer to use protein powders sweetened with stevia instead of other artificial sweeteners. Use chocolate protein powder for a mocha flavor. Yum! This works well as a bariatric or weight loss recipe, it’s wonderful to consume almost 20 grams of protein for this few calories.