This delicious PB Chocolate Strawberry Protein Flatbread is a protein and fiber packed breakfast that tastes like dessert!
As a busy working mom and entrepreneur, I often have to come up with meals on the fly. Since I only manage to make it to the supermarket once per week at most, I often find the need to get creative with what I’ve got on hand. This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is to cook with at least 3 ingredients that are actually in the refrigerator or pantry right now without buying something new. The idea is to reduce food waste by being resourceful! This PB Chocolate Strawberry Protein Flatbread is one of my go-to Spring and Summer breakfast treats.
Since protein and fiber are my focus when developing recipes, this was super easy. I always have high protein/high fiber flatbreads in the fridge to make pizzas, wraps, PB banana “sushi” and much more. I also keep a steady supply of powdered peanut butter in the pantry for smoothies, mug cakes, pancakes, oatmeal, sauces, etc. Combine the two with fresh strawberries and voila, you have a simple and nutritious breakfast, snack or dessert.
This PB Chocolate Strawberry Protein Flatbread is a protein and fiber packed breakfast that tastes like dessert! #vegan #highfiber #plantbased Click To Tweet
Since 90% of Americans don’t consume the recommended amount of fiber, this is a tasty way to boost fiber intake with 14 grams each. That’s over 50% of the recommended daily amount for women of approximately 25 grams. And kids are not exempt from the fiber deficit in our country, so this type of recipe is a kid-friendly way to help them reach their goals too!
This yummy flatbread is easily made vegan by choosing plant-based protein powder or leaving it out. For those watching macros, you’ll be satisfied thanks to 23g of protein, 14g fiber and only 10 g of net carbs.
Switch it up for variety by changing the fruit or using vanilla protein powder to create your favorite combo!
- 1 high protein/high fiber flatbread (approximately 100 calories)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate plant-based protein powder (or whey)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- ½ packet stevia
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine powdered peanut butter, protein powder, cocoa powder, stevia and water. Stir until smooth and desired consistency is achieved. You want it thick but not too dry.
- Spread mixture onto flatbread and toast in toaster oven for about 3-4 minutes.
- Top with strawberries, cut into slices and enjoy.
- If your strawberries are not too sweet, or for more of a dessert experience, you may want to sprinkle the tops with remaining ½ packet of stevia.