Kids and adults alike will love their lunchbox filled with this protein and fiber packed Peanut Butter and Banana Sushi.
Let’s face it, packing a healthy lunch is often a challenge for pretty much everyone. Whether at work, school, or home in the kitchen, mid-day offerings can get repetitive and boring. Plus, the lazy factor takes over all of us from time to time. If you want something that’s easy enough for the kids to make themselves, my Peanut Butter and Banana “Sushi” is for you!
OK, so technically, sushi means “with rice”. No rice involved here, but these tasty pieces remind me of a sushi roll. Finger food is always fun, and any alternative to a sandwich is a welcome change. My daughter loves this nutrient packed recipe- it’s fantastic for kids. Pack it neatly in a bento box or small plastic container. If you find the right kind of tortilla or flatbread, you’ll benefit from more than 1/2 your daily recommended amount of fiber! Score! Elvis was definitely onto something with his favorite flavor combo- PB and banana rocks!
If you want it a bit creamier, you can also stir the powdered peanut butter with unsweetened almond, cashew or coconut milk instead of water for only a few extra calories. And, if you are a PB and J fanatic but don’t love all the extra sugar, try using 100% grape juice as the mixer in the peanut butter instead of water. You’ll have a built-in jelly flavor without any added sugar. You’re welcome 🙂
This is such an easy way to include more plant-based lunches into your family’s diet, especially when it replaces a turkey, ham or bologna sandwich. Don’t think this tasty treat is reserved for lunch, it serves as a nutritious grab-and-go breakfast too!
And if you want to use regular peanut butter instead of powdered, go right ahead! You can also use almond, cashew or sunflower butter if anyone in your house has peanut allergies or just to change it up. Let me know your favorite combinations!
- 3 Tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 whole grain flatbread or whole wheat tortilla (80-100 calories)
- 1 medium banana
- In a small bowl, combine powdered peanut butter and water, stirring and adding water by the ¼ teaspoon until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread peanut butter down the middle of the flatbread/tortilla reserving about a teaspoon for later.
- Place banana on top of peanut butter and roll up flatbread.
- Spread remaining PB on outer edge of flatbread to create a seal.
- Slice into pieces resembling a sushi roll and serve.