Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
Enjoy this vegan, gluten free, dairy free, diabetes-friendly recipe with 30 grams of plant based protein!! It’s also a filling breakfast for post workout refuel.
I love nuts, all nuts. Lucky for me that the theme of this month’s Recipe Redux is to “go nuts” – where we will all share a nut-filled recipe. Turns out that National Nut Day falls on October 22nd, one of our monthly Redux theme posting days. Cool!
Powdered peanut butter is my new obsession. I’ve always loved developing recipes with nut butter for the delicious flavor it provides. However, the 90-100 calories per tablespoon that peanut butter adds is sometimes a bit steep for me when I’m trying to keep the calories controlled in my recipes, particularly breakfast. The 45-50 calories per 2 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter adds pea-nutty flavor with only ¼ of the calories of regular PB. This Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl is packed with 30 grams of plant-based protein that will keep you full all morning. If you don’t have vegan protein powder, no worries. Simply substitute chocolate whey in the recipe if you have some on hand.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop (1/4 cup- approx. 25 grams) vegan chocolate protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 1/2 banana, frozen and sliced
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 Tablespoon powdered peanut butter (reconstituted with 1 ½-2 teaspoons water)
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs (4 grams)
- Place all smoothie ingredients in order into a blender.
- Blend until desired consistency is achieved, you may need to scrape sides down in order to fully blend the chia seeds.
- Pour into a serving bowl, drizzle peanut butter and sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- - If your mornings are tight on time, make this in the evening, cover and refrigerate. Add the toppings in the morning
- - If you don’t need a vegan recipe, try it with chocolate whey protein and mini semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- -If using whey, decrease the liquid to 2 Tablespoons. The plant based protein soaks up more liquid.
Have you ever tried powdered peanut butter? If so, tell me about it in the comments below!