If you love cereal but need more protein in your breakfast, this Protein-Packed Chocolate Cereal Bowl recipe holds the secret!
I have loved cereal ever since I was a small child. Growing up in the 1970’s with a mom who was into nutrition definitely had its plusses and minuses from a kid’s perspective. While I now appreciate the good habits she tried to instill in me at an early age, at the time I just wanted some Cocoa Pebbles and Count Chocula. I mean, who didn’t love the chocolate flavored milk at the bottom of the bowl? On rare occasions, these varieties of cereal would “fall” into the cart and my sister and I would fight over them until they were gone.
As an RDN, I still thoroughly enjoy my cereal. My pantry looks a lot like Seinfeld’s with a VERY long row of different cereal boxes. Over the last several years, I’ve decreased my intake of this breakfast favorite because it left me starving by 10am. The cause? Lack of protein to help keep me satisfied. To get my fix, I would still toss some into my yogurt or make homemade trail mix with a few different kinds of cereal, dried fruit, and nuts. Then one morning I had a eureka moment when I realized I could easily add whey protein to my beloved cereal bowl. Ahhhhhh! This Protein-Packed Chocolate Cereal Bowl will awaken the child in you while providing enough protein to keep you satisfied until lunch. I’m a little obsessed and have been trying many cereal combinations with different protein powder flavors. Let’s just say, you’ll never get bored!
For something so quick and simple, and with only 300 calories, you will jump start your day with 16 grams of fiber, 23 grams of protein, 50% of your daily recommended intake of iron, 60% of calcium and a whopping 150% of Vitamin C! Good morning!
- 1/2 cup toasted oat cereal (such as Cheerios)
- 1/4 cup high fiber cereal (the kind that looks like little sticks)
- 3/4 cup puffed wheat cereal
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 3/4 -1 cup unsweetened almond, coconut or cashew milk
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate flavored whey protein (grass fed) or plant-based (vegan option)
- 1-2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (optional packet of stevia or preferred sweetener)
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Add cereal, chia seeds and ½ of the strawberries to a bowl and toss.
- In a larger measuring cup or bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, protein powder and cocoa powder until completely dissolved.
- Top cereal with remaining strawberries, pour in milk and enjoy.
There are so many ways to change up this recipe.
1. Use plant-based protein powder for a vegan option.
2. If you have vanilla protein powder on hand instead, use 1 full Tablespoon of cocoa powder to make it more chocolatey.
3. Sub in unflavored collagen powder or mix it with another protein powder- and use 1 full Tablespoon cocoa powder.
4. My new obsession is Uplift Food- Daily Uplifter gut healing vanilla protein. Watch for it in the US soon, I used 3 Tablespoons and added 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder.
5. Enjoy this bowl with raspberries, bananas, cherries, oranges, blueberries or any of your favorite fruit. Pretty much everything goes with chocolate 🙂
PIN FOR LATER
Note: This is not a sponsored post. Just sharing the love for fellow RDN, Kara Landau, and her awesome product.
What is your favorite cereal combo? Please share with me in the comments below: