Enjoy a high protein breakfast or snack with these low carb Fruity Egg Wraps.
When I was a kid and we would run out of lunch fixings, my mom would pack an egg and jelly sandwich in my lunchbox. That’s what inspired me to create these fruity egg wraps, sans the bread. The original idea for this recipe started with Lindsay Livingston’s Easy Egg Wraps. As our theme for June’s Recipe Redux, we were asked to celebrate a fellow Reduxer by making one of their recipes with our own twist. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more protein into my diet, especially breakfast and snacks. Lindsay is the registered dietitian food blogger behind The Lean Green Bean, and when I saw her egg wrap recipe, I was inspired to create my Fruity Egg Wraps.
As someone always looking to trim some calories, I added liquid egg whites to the recipe to add more protein for less total fat. I think of these egg wraps kind of like a substitute for crepes. My favorite filling is a very specific product that’s a bit hard to find but totally worth it! “It’s the Berries” Sauce by The Silver Palate is marketed as an ice cream topping and can be found in some stores by the hot fudge and sprinkles. The reason I love it is the simplicity of the ingredients: strawberries, raspberries, sugar, lemon juice concentrate and black currant juice. With only 30 calories for 2 Tablespoons, it blows regular jelly out of the water for both taste and nutrition. If you cannot find it, use your favorite fruit spread, and try to find one lower in sugar if you are watching your sugar intake.
Walnuts are tasty on just about everything. Toasting them brings out their amazing nutty flavor, just be sure to watch them carefully because there’s a fine line between perfect and burned. I only added 1 Tablespoon to keep the calories in check but feel free to add more if you wish, and benefit from some heart healthy omega 3 fats.Enjoy a high protein breakfast or snack with these low carb Fruity Egg Wraps. #thereciperedux http://wp.me/p4LsrV-zm Click To Tweet
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts, toasted (1/4 ounce)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites (1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons liquid egg whites)
- dash of salt
- 2 Tablespoons fruit spread (Silver Palate It’s the Berries is my favorite)
- Heat a saute pan on medium-medium/high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the eggs, whites and salt together until frothy.
- Pour about 1/4 cup egg mix into the pan and tilt it to create a thin layer.
- Gently flip when lightly browned on one side.
- When both sides are done, place the egg wrap on a plate and repeat two more times with remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, toast walnuts for 2 ½ to 3 minutes taking care not to burn them.
- To serve, add 2 teaspoons of fruit spread to each egg wrap, fold it up on both sides and roll as if you are making a burrito to contain the filling.
- Top with the walnuts and extra fruit spread if desired.
Please let me know what other tasty combos you think would make a delicious filling for these egg wraps. And be sure to check out all of the fantastic recipes below shared by the contributors to The Recipe Redux.