This Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is a happy mesh of seasons and a colorful gluten-free dish to serve at springtime celebrations like Easter, Passover and Mothers Day.
This is the time of year when I’m dreaming of Spring yet still enjoying my delicious winter fruits like Cara Cara oranges. My Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is a happy mesh of seasons and a colorful dish to serve at springtime celebrations like Easter, Passover and Mother’s Day.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is Family Springtime Celebrations and this tasty salad certainly fits the bill. I was very happy to find prepacked beets available at Costco and Trader Joe’s. I love that they are shelf stable and last a while until you break the seal on the package. I plan several recipes around the beets, so I make sure that none go to waste once I’m ready to crack open the bag. I’m thinking smoothies, overnight oats, grain bowls…how would you use up your beets?
While on the topic of food waste, March is National Nutrition Month and this year’s theme is “Go Further with Food”. To me, this means making more out of what you already have. This recipe is a great opportunity to repurpose the oranges peels. After you slice them off of the orange, add them to a pitcher of water to infuse it with delicious orange essence. I’ve been doing it all winter with my giant 10-pound bag of Costco Cara Cara oranges and it really adds something special to plain water.
This Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad is also delicious with sliced apples and pears. Add extra veggies if you have them lying around or try different greens like kale, spinach or arugula. Enjoy!
This Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is a happy mesh of seasons and a colorful #glutenfree dish to serve at springtime celebrations like #Easter, #Passover and #MothersDay. Click To Tweet
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 large orange, peeled, outer membrane removed and sliced into medallions
- 2 beets, roasted, peeled and sliced into medallions (for roasting directions see below) or use precooked and packaged beets to save time
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped
- Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 small-medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- Toast walnuts on aluminum foil in the toaster oven for 2 ½-3 minutes.
- Spread greens on a large dinner plate.
- Alternate beet and orange slices around the perimeter of the plate. If beet slices remain, chop them into small pieces and sprinkle on the center of the greens.
- Scatter goat cheese and walnuts.
- Drizzle 3 Tablespoons of dressing on the salad saving the rest for another time.
- **To roast beets: Scrub well, place in foil and seal foil like a packet. Place in 400 degree oven for approximately 1 hour or until tender. Wait until cool enough to handle and peel.
Pin for later:
Make sure to check out what all of my fellow Recipe Reduxers serve at their Springtime Holiday Celebrations by clicking the image below: