Summer berries are nutritional powerhouses! Why not start your day with a satisfying protein-packed breakfast filled with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants? Overnight oats are a wonderful way to create a quick morning breakfast without waiting for your oats to cook. They are especially appealing during the summer when you wish to enjoy the taste and health benefits of oatmeal without the heat. This Red, White and Blue Overnight Oats recipe provides 40% of the daily recommended fiber for women and about 33% for men. Start your 4th of July holiday with a healthy breakfast and you just might help avoid those sweet cravings later in the day. Happy Birthday America!
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 packet stevia or preferred sweetener if desired
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- In the evening, combine all ingredients except fruit in a container or Mason jar, stir, cover and refrigerate.
- In the morning, layer oat/yogurt mixture, strawberries and blueberries to create a parfait.
Makes 1 serving:
305 calories, 5g fat, .5g sat fat, 13mg chol, 133mg sodium, 342mg potassium, 45g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 18g sugar, 22g protein
*No protein powder? No problem. Simply omit it and subtract 50 calories and 10 grams of protein from the nutritional information.