Sweet summer figs are a precious treat to enjoy on top of this protein and fiber packed Fig Ricotta and Almond Pizza!
California figs are almost like a unicorn sighting on the east coast. I’ve been searching for them all summer in my supermarkets to no avail. Last week I had the pleasure of traveling to San Diego for the American Association of Diabetes Educators conference (AADE16). Part of the fun of attending conferences is meeting up with fellow RDs who live in different parts of the country. San Diego is such a foodie city and one night we had the BEST meal at Kettner Exchange in Little Italy. The menu was filled with small plates- too many delicious sounding dishes to choose from, until I saw THIS:
Fallbrook Fig Toast with housemade ricotta, almond, honey, and verjus.
As you can see, I’m a fig fan, but this gorgeous interpretation was honestly one of the tastiest dishes I’ve ever ordered.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “A Vacation-Inspired Recipe” where we have been challenged to think about a trip taken state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe based on an unforgettable meal. Um, fig toast? YES! I was actually so determined to make something with figs that I stopped at Whole Foods in San Diego before leaving for the airport to gather some California figs to bring home to NJ!
Actually, I had a slightly different idea for this redux recipe. I’m totally into tortilla pizzas lately, mostly because they are much lower in carbs and calories than a regular pizza and you can top them with basically anything from sweet to savory to spicy. Since crusty bread is not really something I keep around the house, Fig Ricotta and Almond Pizza it is!
I’ve made this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on my mood and free time. The sweet drizzle is sorghum syrup, kind of like molasses for those who have never tried it. If you don’t have any on hand, honey works well too, you may need more to get the flavor profile you are looking to achieve.
This Fig Ricotta and Almond Pizza is a protein and fiber-packed dish for any meal: http://wp.me/p4LsrV-BB Click To Tweet
- 1 whole grain tortilla (60-100 calories)
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 medium figs, sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon sorghum syrup (or honey)
- Lightly toast the tortilla on the rack in a toaster oven or regular oven for about 3 minutes.
- Meantime, in a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese and almond extract. Remove the tortilla from the toaster oven and spread on the ricotta mixture.
- Top with sliced figs and sprinkle with almonds
- Toast again for approximately 4-5 minutes or until you see steam and cheese looks a bit melty.
- Drizzle with syrup and serve
- *If your toaster oven is too small, bake the pizza on the rack in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.
If you cannot find low fat ricotta, use part skim- it will add about 60 calories to the recipe.
Disclosure: I am a consultant for the United Sorghum Checkoff Program, however, I was NOT compensated for this post.
Check out all of the delicious creations by my fellow reduxers below!