Snack smart with these gluten-free, plant-based Cranberry Pistachio Granola Bar Squares!
These Cranberry Pistachio Granola Bar Squares are a super easy way to enjoy a homemade, natural and healthy snack. As a bonus, they are plant-based and gluten-free as long as you use certified gluten-free oats. These tasty squares contain heart-healthy fats and fiber from nutrient-dense whole foods, plus they are missing the unwanted ingredients you will find in most commercial granola bars.
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is to create a favorite healthy snack recipe with crackle and crunch. For me, it was time to break out the homemade granola bars. With few exceptions, I don’t care for store-bought varieties. For only 100 calories, these tasty, chewy, crunchy squares are a satisfying lunchbox treat, after-school snack or mid-afternoon work pick-me-up.
They’re not just for snack time!
I love crumbling one of these bars into a cup of Greek yogurt or over cottage cheese with fruit for a protein and fiber-filled breakfast. Or, top a square with your favorite better-for-you ice cream or frozen yogurt for dessert.
Once you have the base recipe, you can easily play around with it. One of the best things about these bars is their versatility. You can use any type of nuts; think almonds, walnuts, cashews or pecans. Almost any dried fruit works well too like cherries, dates, raisins or apricots…use your imagination.
The level of sweetness can easily increase or decrease based on the amount of fruit, honey, or other preferred sweeteners. Some of my vegan friends eat honey, some don’t. If you are a non-honey eating vegan, you can try to substitute maple syrup for a similar result. Or, there is a new sugar-free honey alternative made by Pyure Orangic that’s stevia sweetened and high in fiber. No sugar and no honeybees involved 🙂
To make these granola bars even more fun and kid-friendly, sprinkle a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips over the top and press them into the mixture before refrigerating.Snack smart with these #glutenfree, #plantbased Cranberry Pistachio Granola Bar Squares! Click To Tweet
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (use certified gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped (30g or about 47 nuts)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup whole grain puffed rice cereal (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter or almond butter (no added sugar)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8x8 or 9x9 square brownie pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- On a baking sheet (preferably with a rim) combine oats, pumpkin seeds and flaxseed.
- Bake for about 3 minutes, then add pistachios and continue baking for an additional 2-3 minutes. Watch closely, the nuts will burn if overcooked!
- Remove oat mixture from the oven and place in a large bowl.
- Add cranberries and puffed rice cereal, toss, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and salt.
- Cook over medium low heat while stirring gently until bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture.
- Stir well with a large spoon or spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to the square pan and press with a spatula until mixture is flat and even.
- If desired, melt white or dark chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the top.
- Refrigerate until cool and firm, approx 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cut into 16 squares and store covered in the refrigerator.
MAKE SURE TO PIN IT FOR LATER!!!
Be sure to check out the tasty snacks created by my fellow Recipe Reduxers by clicking on the image below:
What are your favorite fruit and nut combos?