These Cranberry Banana Whole Grain Muffins are bursting with fresh cranberries and rich in whole grain goodness making them a yummy snack for the whole family.
I have to be honest, baking is not really my thing. My mom is a gourmet cook. Every night she prepared dinner from scratch, following some complicated recipe. She was not, however, a baker. In fact, the only thing I ever remember baking with her is banana bread, and believe me, it was the kind that left greasy residue on your hands. Not exactly waistline friendly if you know what I mean.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Trimming the Table” and we were challenged to create a healthy holiday dessert we will be sharing with family and friends this season. After a recent cranberry bog tour, I’ve become obsessed with fresh cranberries and couldn’t wait to bake them into some muffins. My kids are not pie people, and really don’t go for the typical fall flavors of pumpkins and squashes. It hurts my soul, and I’ll keep encouraging them to adopt my favorite fall foodie loves. In the meantime, they love muffins so my Cranberry Banana Whole Grain Muffins were born.
I always bake with white whole wheat flour because it contains all the nutrition of a whole grain without the bitter tannins found in traditional red whole wheat flour. In this recipe, I chose monkfruit as a low-calorie sweetener and it worked really well. I’ve used stevia as well, but to me, the monkfruit doesn’t have an aftertaste like some versions of stevia.
I can’t wait to check out all of the other healthier holiday desserts by my fellow recipe reduxers- give them some love below and let me know what you love to bake!!
These #noaddedsugar Cranberry Banana Muffins are bursting w/ fresh cranberries & whole grain goodness http://wp.me/p4LsrV-EZ Click To Tweet
- 3 medium bananas (12 ounces), mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons extra light flavored olive oil or canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated monkfruit or stevia (cup for cup measure)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas and set aside.
- Beat egg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla, oil, Greek yogurt, monkfruit/stevia, and salt and mix well.
- Add bananas and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, stirring to combine, avoiding over mixing.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Add liners to 12 muffin tins or grease them with cooking spray.
- Fill muffin tins with batter and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
<!– end InLinkz script