This delicious, vegan and gluten free 3 Bean Avocado Salad with Lime Dressing is a protein and fiber-filled plant-based dish that pairs well with nearly everything.
March is National Nutrition Month which is a special time for dietitians. Our goals are generally to help people choose healthier, produce rich meals and snacks to increase the fiber and nutrient content of everyone’s diet, an area where Americans can certainly improve. Another important lesson we try to teach is how to decrease food waste while maximizing nutrition. Enter this month’s Recipe Redux challenge, “Spring Clean the Kitchen”. In honor of the coming of Spring, which cannot come soon enough in the Northeast, we were asked to cook with at least 3 ingredients that are actually in the fridge or pantry right now. Easy peasy! Presenting my 3 Bean Avocado Salad with Lime Dressing!
This recipe contains 13 ingredients and I had every single one in my fridge or pantry except one. I cheated a little to buy some fresh cilantro when I was stocking up for a huge snowstorm. It makes the dish! Salads like these rock my world because they are rich in plant-based protein and fiber which are super filling. Add it to a pita or wrap for a meatless sandwich or on top of salad greens for a light lunch. I like it atop roasted vegetables or cottage cheese. Add in some whole grain goodness like quinoa, sorghum, farro or brown or black rice. I’m thinking it might also make a delicious stuffing for a roasted acorn squash. Serve some 3 Bean Avocado Salad on top of your burger, grilled chicken or salmon filet. Getting how versatile this salad is?
3 Bean Avocado Salad with Lime Dressing is a delish #vegan and #glutenfree dish! #plantbased http://wp.me/p4LsrV-JL Click To Tweet
Recipe adapted from the Noble Pig
- 1- 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained- preferably low sodium
- 1- 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained- preferably low sodium
- 1- 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained- preferably low sodium
- 1- 15oz can corn, drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (about 20) cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
- juice of 1 large lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (or flat leaf parsley)
- Rinse beans in a strainer and let drain well. Add them to a large mixing bowl with corn, diced pepper, and grape tomatoes.
- In a smaller bowl, add lime juice and diced avocado, stirring to coat well to prevent browning.
- Using a spoon, remove the avocado from lime juice and add it to the bean mixture.
- To the remaining lime juice, add oil, garlic, salt and pepper, mix well and pour over the salad folding gently to combine.
- Gently stir in cilantro, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors develop.
- Garnish with additional cilantro before serving.
If you don't like cilantro, substitute flat leaf parsley
Check out the amazing pantry clearing recipes by my fellow Recipe Reduxers! Do you have a favorite recipe you make when trying to avoid going to the store?