Power up your breakfast with 27 grams of protein in this gluten free, nutrient packed Toasted Coconut Wild Blueberry smoothie bowl.
Every day I wake up looking forward to breakfast! My blog contains a disproportionate number of breakfast recipes for two reasons- (1) because it’s my favorite meal of day and (2) for 20 years I’ve been listening to clients tell me that they just don’t know what to eat for breakfast. This Toasted Coconut Wild Blueberry Smoothie Bowl is a new reason to get up in the morning!
Wild blueberries are a perfect smoothie ingredient because they are frozen already, hence less need for ice to dilute your delicious smoothie. They also contain 2x the antioxidants of the larger cultivated blueberries and a growing body of research shows their potential health benefits including gut health, diabetes, cancer and brain health. Did you know they are called “wild” because they actually are? Yup, Wild Blueberries are not planted and occur naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada that have been here for 10,000 years. They also have a more intense flavor than regular blueberries and because they are quick frozen, their nutrition and taste are locked in.
While I love smoothies, I’m IN love with smoothie bowls. I find it so much more satisfying to “eat” my breakfast instead of drinking it. Enjoying this recipe with a spoon and the addition of some crunch from the toasted coconut flakes makes it a more sensory experience. Yeah!
I’m a huge advocate of including an appropriate amount of protein at breakfast to help balance blood sugar and keep energy levels up all morning. Many smoothie recipes, though delicious, lack adequate protein to create a complete meal. This recipe packs 27 grams of protein and a whopping 14 grams of fiber which is more than 50% of the recommended daily intake! You also benefit from 40% of your daily recommended calcium intake- how cool is that?
Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
This Toasted Coconut Wild Blueberry Smoothie bowl packs 27g protein! #ad #WildYourSmoothie Click To Tweet
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, almond or cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop (¼ cup) vanilla whey protein powder (Preferably grass fed and sweetened with stevia)
- 1 packet stevia
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup ice
- Optional: If you like a little more punch in your smoothie bowl, try adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Place coconut flakes on aluminum foil in the toaster oven and toast for approximately 2 ½ minutes, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice during blending.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with toasted coconut.