Warm weather definitely elevates our desire for cool, refreshing drinks. Check out the line at any Starbucks during Frappuccino happy hour and you will see just how much people love frozen coffee concoctions. Unfortunately, most of these tasty beverages are overflowing with added sugars. A grande (16 ounce) Mocha Frappuccino made with 2% milk and no whipped cream still contains 290 calories and 58 grams of sugar! That’s more than double the 24 grams per day recommended by the American Heart Association for women. Yikes! My Protein Packed Skinny Frozen Mocha allows you to enjoy your caffeine pick-me-up while benefiting from 21 grams of satisfying protein- a Mocha Frap only has 4 grams! It’s a fantastic, quick and light breakfast, or post workout or late afternoon snack.
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled (regular or decaf)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder containing about 20g protein (preferably grass fed and sweetened with stevia)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- optional: drizzle of chocolate syrup (regular or sugar free)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until preferred consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon chocolate syrup if desired.
Yields 1 very large serving- approximately 24 ounces.
136 calories, 1.8g fiber, 10mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 8.5g carbohydrate, .5g fiber, 6g sugar, 21g protein
The good news is Starbucks is introducing a mini-sized Frappuccino so you can indulge a little without a ton of calories. What is your favorite frozen coffee drink?