I love participating in The Recipe Redux! Each month we receive a new recipe challenge, and I wait with anticipation as I contemplate what they could possibly come up with next. This month, the theme is “Two for One” or Cook Once, Eat Twice. In short, double dinners are better. We are tasked to take a favorite recipe already on the blog – and ReDux the leftovers into a new dish. I knew instantly what to choose because it’s one of my favorite leftover fixes- Cacciatore Tortilla Pizza. Every time I make Chicken Cacciatore, the chicken is gone long before the rest of the veggies. Hmmm, I wonder how that happens? They are so tasty and healthy, I certainly wouldn’t throw them away. So, I repurpose them into a pizza. You’ve got lunch or dinner done in a flash that’s low calorie and high fiber. It’s a win-win. Enjoy!
- 1 whole wheat tortilla or flatbread in the 100 calorie range
- leftover mushrooms, green peppers and sauce from my *Chicken Cacciatore recipe*
- 1/4-1/3 cup 2% shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- oregano and red pepper flakes to taste
- Place tortilla on toaster oven or oven rack. Top with veggies and sauce. Sprinkle cheese and desired amount of spices. Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly.
What’s your favorite way to Cook Once, Eat Twice?