This Cranberry Coconut Black Rice Pudding with Lavender Whipped Topping is a decadent way to enjoy yogurt for breakfast or dessert!
Disclosure: I have partnered with Dannon to bring you this recipe featuring Light & Fit. I was compensated for my time, as always, all opinions are my own 🙂
Do you love cooking shows? My family and I can often be found watching Chopped and other culinary competition shows where the contestants are challenged to make a dish using required ingredients. Surprise! This box arrived at my house and my friends at Dannon Light & Fit tasked me to create a unique dish incorporating at least 3 of these ingredients plus any flavor or variety of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt. Challenge accepted!
Included in the box was:
Roasted Red Peppers
I have to say, this one threw me a bit. Should I go sweet or savory? Then it hit me! Cranberry Coconut Black Rice Pudding with Lavender Whipped Topping. I‘m already a fan of black rice but have never created a dessert featuring this very tasty and aromatic grain.
Greek yogurt is a staple in my daily diet and many of the recipes I create. It’s such an easy and flavorful way to ensure adequate protein throughout the day, especially at breakfast. Also, the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend increasing intake of nutrient-dense foods, such as fat-free or low-fat dairy products, like yogurt. Yogurt is nutrient-dense and many yogurts are a good source of protein, calcium and Vitamin D. No convincing needed here.
Luckily, Light & Fit offers a delicious variety of products to fit any eating occasion. I’m especially in love with their new Light & Fit Greek Nonfat Yogurt with Zero Artificial Sweeteners which contains 90 calories, 13 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber per 5.3 oz cup. Score!
One of the new flavors is Coconut Cream which I knew would mix perfectly into my black rice pudding. This Cranberry Coconut Black Rice Pudding with Lavender Whipped Topping is easy and requires few ingredients. Hubby grabbed one for dessert and another for breakfast the next day. It’s sweet but not super sweet and the flavors blend beautifully.
#ad Enjoy Cranberry Coconut Black Rice Pudding with @lightandfit for breakfast or dessert! http://wp.me/p4LsrV-OG Click To Tweet
- 2/3 cup black rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- 5.3 ounce container coconut cream flavored Dannon Light & Fit Greek Nonfat Yogurt with Zero Artificial Sweeteners
- 1/2 cup lite whipped topping
- 1/8 teaspoon natural lavender flavor (extract)
- Rinse black rice well in a fine strainer or gold coffee filter.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan with a lid.
- Add rice and dried cranberries to boiling water, cover and reduce heat to simmer until water is mostly absorbed, about 35 minutes.
- Remove lid, turn up the heat to medium/medium-high and add 1/2 cup of coconut milk, stirring frequently until mostly absorbed. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
- Once milk is mostly absorbed, turn off the heat and stir in yogurt.
- Divide into four ramekins or small mason jars – approximately ½ cup servings and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, mix together whipped topping and lavender flavor.
- Top each serving of rice pudding with 2 Tablespoons lavender whipped topping.
- Garnish with extra chopped dried cranberries if desired.
- Tip: If you cannot find lavender flavoring, it’s fine to omit it. A little vanilla or coconut extract would work nicely too.
The nutrient analysis for this Coconut Cranberry Black Rice Pudding with Lavender Whipped Topping was created using ESHA Food Processor software.
For more yogurt deliciousness, make sure to follow Light and Fit on Instagram!
Please let me know if you try this recipe and I’d love to hear what unique dish YOU would have created using the surprise ingredients!
Pin it for later!