This Cranberry Orange Ginger Relish is gluten-free, vegan and made with no added sugar. Enjoy it as part of any holiday meal or everyday breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Cranberries are a delicious staple of fall celebrations. I remember growing up with canned cranberry sauce (which I never touched), and later on, the addition of super sweet and syrupy cranberry relish to our Thanksgiving table. No thanks.
This no-cook festive recipe is so versatile, and a nutritious alternative to sugar-laden cranberry sauce. My secret ingredient is a bit of ground ginger which adds a pop of flavor.
Not only is this tasty relish a nutrient-packed side dish for holidays or any day, but it also makes a fantastic breakfast topper for cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Try some as a topping for waffles or pancakes, or stuffed inside a turkey sandwich or wrap. Adjust the level of sweetness to your liking. I chose to use stevia for a diabetes-friendly, low sugar recipe. If you prefer to include a different sweetener, start with a few Tablespoons and increase according to your taste preference.
This Cranberry Orange Ginger Relish is #glutenfree, #vegan and made with no added sugar. http://wp.me/p4LsrV-nm #Thanksgiving Click To Tweet
- 1 larger clementine, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon zest (from clementine)
- 1 medium apple (Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp), cored and cut into cubes
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons spoonable stevia or preferred non-nutritive sweetener (cup for cup measure)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 ounces (about ½ cup) walnuts, chopped
- Zest the clementine and set aside.
- In a blender, food processor or mini processor, first chop the apple by pulsing gently until you have small pieces (don’t puree) and transfer to a bowl.
- Using the same pulsing method, chop the clementine and transfer, then process the cranberries in 2 batches and transfer to the bowl.
- To the fruit mixture, add the zest, stevia and ginger and stir to combine.
- Add walnuts, stir, cover and refrigerate to let flavors develop.
*I definitely recommend toasting the walnuts for a 2-3 minutes prior to adding them to the relish. The flavor is amazing! *Adjust the sweeteness as desired.
A cranberries a part of your holiday celebrations? What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy them?
For more cranberry inspired recipes, check out my recipe roundup with 45 Healthy Cranberry Recipes 🙂