These Cottage Cheese and Guacamole Quinoa Snack Cakes are a tasty, crunchy, gluten-free, protein-rich finger food for a summer day or any day.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Small Plates For Sunny Days”. Small bites are perfect for trying many different tastes, and with wedding shower, graduation and barbecue season upon us, we were challenged to show our healthy take on small plates and finger foods. I’m a little obsessed with these Suzie’s Thin Cakes (no affiliation or sponsorship here). They are a modern take on a rice cake with the incorporation of several different grains in a puffy and crunchy square shape. My current fave is the corn, quinoa and sesame variety. With only 16 calories each, I can top these babies with some deliciousness for a decent portion size. It’s no secret to anyone who follows my recipes, that I also love cottage cheese. It’s such an easy way to add protein to almost anything, and it works really well here as a creamy counterpart to some spicy guacamole. I love having two of these as a snack or four as a meal. Adding some heat with red pepper flakes or Sriracha will help to burn a few extra calories if that’s your thing- I just love some added spice to help slow me down. Another bonus is that the thin cakes are gluten free so any family or friends sharing in your celebration can safely enjoy them if they follow a gluten-free diet. (Just make sure to check the label because not every variety of Suzie’s Thin Cakes are gluten free.)
These Cottage Cheese & Guac Quinoa Snack Cakes are crunchy, #glutenfree & protein-rich. http://ow.ly/mKag300ptzm Click To Tweet
Cottage Cheese and Guacamole Quinoa Snack Cakes
- 4 gluten free square thin cakes such as quinoa, corn or brown rice
- 4 Tablespoons guacamole, 15-20 calories per Tablespoon (I like reduced guilt by Trader Joe’s or Good Foods Chunky Table Guac)
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- optional: red pepper flakes, black pepper or Sriracha
- Spread 1 Tablespoon guacamole on each flat cake.
- Add 2 Tablespoons cottage cheese to each of the 4 cakes.
- Top with sliced tomatoes
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes or a bit of Sriracha if you like it spicy.
Make sure to check out the small plates and finger foods shared by my fellow Recipe Reduxers below: