Feeding a family is no easy task, especially when you are faced with the challenge of picky eaters. It’s harder and harder to find time to sit down for dinner as a family with the demands of work, school and activities. This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “back to the dinner table”, and I have a recipe that yields smiles from hubby and kids alike. These Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes are portion controlled, easy, abundant, and a healthy option for the whole family. Make one batch and save the leftovers for tomorrow’s lunchbox (meatloaf sandwich anyone?) or dinner, or freeze some for another time. Add some baked sweet potato, butternut squash or parsnip “fries” and a salad or vegetable for a complete meal. Try “icing” the “cupcakes” with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower to have more fun with the theme. What is your favorite family meal to get everyone “back to the table”?
- 2 packages lean ground turkey (93% lean) approx. 2.5 pounds total
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup (preferably organic)*
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, diced small
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/3 cup dehydrated onions
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Divide mixture into 24 muffin tins sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with foil muffin cups.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Makes 24 “cupcakes” 84 calories, 3.8g fat, 1.2g sat fat, 48mg chol, 104mg sodium, 2.3g carbohydrate, .3g fiber, 1g sugar, 10g protein
*While ketchup contains a significant amount of sugar, usually high fructose corn syrup, some organic ketchup brands have only 2 grams of sugar per tablespoon instead of the typical 4 grams. That’s saving ½ teaspoon of sugar per Tablespoon of ketchup.
To make traditional meatloaf- spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray. Divide turkey mixture between the two pans. Bake for approximately 1 hour.