It’s Recipe Redux time again, and this month’s theme is “Start Smoking in the New Year”. No, not actual smoking but the trendy smoking of food. We were challenged to show a healthy dish we’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness. Enter sriracha! These Spicy Gluten Free Chicken Tenders are flavorful and easy! The trick is using brown rice cereal instead of traditional bread crumbs. Get the kids involved and let them crush the rice cereal, it’s simple and fun. Cut them into easy dipping strips for a party! Super Bowl anyone?
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 ¼ pounds chicken breast tenderloins or breasts cut into tenderloin shape
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rice cereal in a large zipper bag, seal and crush with a rolling pin or the back of a spoon. Pour onto a large, flat plate and set aside. In a bowl, combine yogurt and sriracha/hot sauce. Take each chicken breast, dip in yogurt mixture, dredge in rice cereal, and place on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray tops of chicken lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Makes 5 servings.
Tips: You can increase or decrease the amount of sriracha to suit your taste, and even drizzle extra on the chicken or around the plate to serve. If spicy is not your preference, try brushing the chicken with mild barbecue sauce prior to breading with the rice cereal.
If you do not require a gluten free recipe, another option is to coat the tenders in 2/3 cup of whole wheat panko bread crumbs (unseasoned) The brand I use only contains 55mg of sodium per 1/3 cup. The end product will be crispier than the rice cereal.
Make sure to serve with veggies for dipping in yogurt or low fat sour cream mixed with a little more sriracha if you can take the heat. Otherwise, the traditional “light” blue cheese dressing will work as well.
What is your favorite recipe containing sriracha?