Ho, Ho, Ho, get your morning cup of Joe in this gluten free, protein-packed Peppermint Mocha Overnight Oats!
Are you a Starbucks fan? Do you long for the yearly launch of their seasonal peppermint mocha coffee concoctions? Here’s your chance to turn your coffee obsession into a grab-and-go, protein-packed breakfast!
I’m totally hooked on overnight oats for so many reasons. My mornings are super busy, so having breakfast ready is key for me to start my day right. This recipe is like the ultimate guiltless pleasure because it’s got the coffeehouse flavor you love minus the sugar and calorie laden ingredients. For 290 calories and 27 grams of protein, it’s a great post-workout refuel or holiday morning treat. This recipe is also low in sodium with only 125mg and packs 6 grams of fiber.
To make this recipe I used Starbucks VIA instant coffee that I prepared and cooled. You can also refrigerate leftover coffee from your morning pot, brew an extra Keurig while making your morning coffee and leave it in the frig for later, or simply use cold brew.@Starbucks fan? Must try this Peppermint Mocha Overnight Oats protein-packed #breakfast recipe!… Click To Tweet
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 packet stevia or preferred sweetener
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate whey protein powder (18g)
- 1/3 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips
- 2-3 mini candy canes, crushed and divided*
- In a mason jar or container with lid, add the first 5 dry ingredients and stir.
- Add the coffee and stir to combine.
- Add yogurt, cacao nibs and 1-2 of the crushed candy canes and combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours of overnight.
- When ready to serve, add last crushed candy cane as a garnish.
*If you like a stronger minty flavor, use 2 candy canes as mix-ins and 1 crushed on top. If you want to lower the sugar content further, instead of candy canes, simply add some peppermint extract or you can crush a few breath mints like Altoids or other sugar free mints for a peppermint flavor with fewer calories and added sugars.
Since everyone has a different sweet tooth, play with the added sweetener and number of candy canes. Taste it as you mix it and sprinkle some extra stevia (etc) in as desired.
There are SO many different whey protein powders available, I prefer one that’s grass-fed and sweetened with stevia. The one I incorporated here is 90 calories, 20g protein and 2g of total carbs per scoop (25g/about 1/4 cup packed).
I hope you find this recipe to be fun and festive. Please let me know if you are already an overnight oats fan or a first timer…I’d love to know what you think 🙂
All my best wishes for a happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous holiday season!