Figs are a rich plant source of calcium and fiber as well as many antioxidants. They are most often found dried as the fruit is delicate and spoils fairly quickly after picking. This honey-orange glazed figs over whipped cottage cheese recipe uses fresh figs and it’s a treat when they are in season. Enjoy it as a fantastic protein packed breakfast, lunch, snack, or dare I say…dessert.
- 8 small to medium fresh figs, stems removed (approx. ½ pound)
- 1 Tablespoon light stick butter
- 1 Tablespoon honey (preferably raw, organic)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice (save the orange peel to zest for garnish)
- a dash cinnamon
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- optional: orange zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. (If possible use a toaster oven)
- Cut the figs in half and place cut side up on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
- In a very small saucepan, add butter and melt slowly over low to medium heat. Do not allow butter to bubble.
- When melted, remove from heat and whisk in honey, orange juice and cinnamon. Drizzle over figs and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Do not allow the juices to burn or become adhered to the baking sheet.
- While the figs are cooking, place cottage cheese in a blender/food processor and pulse until all the lumps have disappeared.
- If you do not have one you can whisk the cottage cheese in a bowl.
- Divide the cottage cheese into 4 serving bowls, top each with 4 fig halves and spoon over sauce. Garnish with orange zest if desired.
Serves 4: 169 calories, 4g fat, 2.4g sat fat, 14mg chol, 386mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 19g sugar, 15g protein.
You may also enjoy this recipe over vanilla or plain Greek yogurt. When served over vanilla frozen yogurt or light ice cream it becomes a decadent dessert. Try spooning some over whole grain pancakes or waffles for a twist on the ordinary. Cover and refrigerate any unused portion and microwave over low power/defrost when reheating to serve.
Gluten free tip: Make sure the butter you are using is gluten free. "Light" butters can contain gluten.