Oatmeal is a heart healthy powerhouse food. This Fruit and Oatmeal Breakfast Parfait recipe is a fabulous option to get your daily dose of oatmeal in an entirely different way. While fresh is best, frozen berries also work well in this recipe because they release extra juice as they defrost, which will add moisture and sweetness to the parfait. It’s best to prepare the oatmeal/yogurt mixture the night before to allow the oatmeal to reach the desired consistency. Enjoy with blueberries, peaches, blackberries, raspberries, bananas or your other favorite fruits. Alternating the variety of nuts you include will provide additional nutrients and flavors. Enjoy your new breakfast recipe. Please share your creations and ideas in the comments below!
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats, dry
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- cinnamon to taste- approximately 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 packet stevia or preferred sweetener to taste
- 1oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, light vanilla soy milk, or skim milk
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries, defrosted or 11/4 cup fresh
- 1 tablespoon almonds, slivered or sliced or 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal
- In a small plastic container with a lid, combine the oats, yogurt, cinnamon, sweetener of choice, and splash of chosen milk. Cover and put in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. It will seem wet when mixed but the oatmeal will absorb the extra liquid.
- When ready to eat, take a tall glass, and place ½ of the oat mixture in the bottom. Then top with ½ the of strawberries, and ½ of the almonds or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Repeat for the top layer.
Makes one serving: 237 calories, 5g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 6g fiber, 13g sugar, 17g protein.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Use gluten free oats and almonds instead of the Kashi Go Lean cereal.
This recipe can be made with your fruit of choice, but the calorie/sugar content will vary. Granola can also add great flavor but be aware of the calorie, fat and sugar content.
When in season, fresh fruit makes this parfait fabulous! If you desire the "juicy" effect, simply microwave your fruit for 30 seconds to one minute, or until you see some juices forming.
Disclosure: I have no affiliation with any companies mentioned in this post.