Once a month I participate in the Recipe Redux, where RDs are challenged to create or makeover an existing recipe based on a theme. This month’s theme is, “Get Your Dehydrator On” where we were asked to share a recipe using dehydrated fruits or veggies. One of my favorite ingredients to enhance the flavor of sauces is sun dried tomatoes. This eggplant marinara with sun dried tomatoes recipe is gluten free, vegan and perfect for Meatless Monday. Serve it over whole grain pasta, black rice, freekeh or farro. Enjoy some on a whole grain flatbread or wrap, or use as a dip with whole grain naan or other crusty bread. Add mozzarella, parmesan cheese or chicken as a protein source if desired. If you like it spicy, add more cayenne or crushed red pepper. One serving of this recipe contains only 156mg of sodium, and you will never miss the excess! Promise!
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant (1-1 ¼ pounds), cubed
- 1 jar (approximately 3 cups) low sodium marinara sauce
- ½ cup packaged and dry sun dried tomatoes (not from a jar)
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a pot with a lid, saute eggplant in olive oil over medium-high heat until it softens, approximately 5 minutes. Add sun dried tomatoes and marinara sauce. Stir, cover and reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The longer cooking time yields softer eggplant.
Serving size- 1 cup Makes 5 servings: 159 calories, 7g fat, .4g sat fat, 0mg chol, 156mg sodium, 19g carbs, 6.4g fiber, 12g sugar, 4g protein
Notes: Serve over 1 cup of whole grain pasta for an additional 180-200 calories for an easy vegan meal, or over black bean, edamame or quinoa pasta if keeping it gluten free.