Football season is in full swing and hot wings are a staple of any tailgate. I love spicy food, especially the little extra calorie burn that comes from consuming hot wings. However, I’m definitely not into the super fatty skin and high calorie content that accompanies traditional wings. This Buffalo Chicken Flatbread is my way of enjoying hot and spicy chicken without breaking the calorie bank. By using a high fiber flatbread, you’ll stay full for a longer period of time and hopefully resist the temptation of the less healthy party items. This flatbread makes a great lunch or single portion dinner- just add a piece of fruit and a salad or some veggies like carrots or celery sticks to cool down the heat.
This recipe is SERIOUSLY filling! With 34 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber you will benefit from a delay in digestion which will keep you satisfied for hours. Also, with less than 20 grams of carbohydrate, it’s diabetic-friendly and appropriate for those following a bariatric diet. SO, it’s satisfying, low in calories, carbs, sugar and high in protein. SCORE!
- 1 high protein/high fiber tortilla or flatbread (between 90-120 calories)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons light cream cheese
- 3 ounces grilled or rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon buffalo hot sauce
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese, loosely packed
- 1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded lettuce for garnish
- Spread cream cheese evenly on flatbread.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken and hot sauce.
- Distribute chicken evenly on flatbread.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese, then Parmesan.
- Bake directly on rack in toaster oven or wall oven at 400 degrees until cheese is melty and tortilla is golden brown, approximately 5-8 minutes. Take care not to burn the flatbread.
- Top with desired amount of shredded lettuce.
310 calories, 13g fat, 6g sat fat, 22mg cholesterol, 913mg sodium, 18.5g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 1.4g sugar, 34g protein
Note- the sodium content of this recipe is a bit high- 913mg, but considering that hot wings served in a restaurant can contain 4000-5000mg of sodium per serving (upwards of 500mg each wing,) this will save you a ton.Enjoy this low calorie Buffalo Chicken Flatbread #recipe at your next tailgate! http://wp.me/p4LsrV-jQ Click To Tweet
What are your favorite tailgating recipes? Let me know if you have one in need of a makeover!