One week ago, I was at Smuggler’s Notch in Vermont attending Blog Brulee, the best food blogging event ever! While there, I whipped up some protein pancakes for my condo mates and they were a big hit. For more details, you can check out my recap post of the Blog Brulee weekend and my “breakfast feast” as it was dubbed by my roomies.
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge is upon us, and September’s theme is “Fantastic Freezer Meals”. The idea is to store away summer produce to create healthy heat-and-eat freezer meals. What a perfect opportunity to pump up my protein pancakes with fresh blueberries! It’s so important to pack your breakfast with protein, and these Blueberry Protein Pancakes are an easy peasy way to heat and eat your morning meal in under 2 minutes. My favorite way to enjoy them is to top them with cottage cheese and fresh (or frozen) blueberries for a satisfying jump start to your day with less than 300 calories and over 20 grams of protein. YUM!
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons liquid egg whites (6 Tablespoons ) or 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Add egg and egg whites to a bowl and beat/whisk.
- Add oats, mashed banana, vanilla and salt, stirring to combine.
- Gently stir in ½ cup of blueberries.
- Spray a griddle or pan with nonstick spray (I used coconut oil spray) and heat on medium.
- Use 1/4 cup as a measure to scoop batter and pour pancakes into pan.
- Cook bottom until golden brown and very carefully flip over, cooking until set and golden. Be patient!
- If you want to freeze them, let cool first , then wrap in parchment paper and place in a freezer zipper bag.
- To reheat, try microwaving 30 seconds at a time, flipping as needed. Avoid overheating!
Serves 2: Approximately 6 pancakes
Per serving: (3 pancakes) 209 calories, 4g fat, .8g sat fat, 93mg chol, 188mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 4.4g fiber, 11g sugar, 11.4g protein
*Serve with 1/3 cup cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for additional protein and garnish with extra blueberries.
**To make sure the pancakes are gluten free, use only certified gluten free oats!
Be sure to check out all of this month’s yummy recipes from my fellow Recipe Reduxers!