Banana muffins are a very popular breakfast choice, unfortunately, they are usually high in calories and sugar while low in protein and fiber. This banana flax muffin in a mug is packed with flax which is high in protein, fiber and heart healthy omega 3 fats. The fact that you can “bake” yourself a nutritious breakfast in less than 10 minutes is a major plus. Try different fruits to enjoy fresh, seasonal flavors.
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 packet stevia or other preferred sweetener
- 3 T liquid egg whites or 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon light whipped butter or light trans-fat free spread
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ banana chopped small, not mashed
- 2 T Vanilla Greek yogurt, divided
- In a large, microwave safe mug add flax, baking powder, cinnamon and sweetener and stir. Add egg whites, oil or butter, vanilla, banana and 1 Tablespoon of the Greek yogurt. Combine well and cook in microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes. Remove muffin from mug and place on a plate. Top with 1 Tablespoon of yogurt and garnish with 3 banana slices.
Makes 1 serving: (using egg whites, light whipped butter, and stevia) 230 calories, 11g fat, 2g sat fat, 5mg chol, 558mg sodium, 11g fiber, 7g sugar, 14g protein
Note that this recipe is fairly high in sodium from the baking powder if you must limit your daily sodium intake.