These cute little banana chocolate chip mini muffins make a fantastic snack for kids and adults alike. The secret is the white whole wheat flour. It’s packed with whole grain nutrition but presents a much milder flavor. Keep a batch in the freezer and take one out in the morning, it will defrost by snack time.
- 4-5 medium very ripe mashed bananas
- ½ cup sugar (or a little less)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup light flavored olive oil
- ½ cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour or 100% Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 6 wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the last 4 dry ingredients except the chocolate chips. Gently stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until nicely incorporated.
- Spray 36 mini-muffin tins with nonstick spray. Add a heaping tablespoon of batter into each tin. Sprinkle mini chips over all the muffins (approx. 5-7 mini chips per muffin).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 36 muffins (with whole eggs): 68 calories, 2.2g fat, .4g sat fat, 10mg chol, 63mg sodium, 1.2g fiber, 6g sugar, 1.3g protein.