These Apple Pie Breakfast Tacos are a sweet, creamy, crunchy, salty and gluten-free treat. Enjoy one for a perfect snack, or two for breakfast for about 300 calories and 15 grams of protein.
Happy Taco Tuesday! I’m not quite sure when that became a thing, but I’ll go with it because it provides some inspiration for recipe development 🙂 This month, my regular Recipe Redux post falls on a Tuesday and we have been challenged to show a healthy, creative take on a taco. Now, if you know me at all, breakfast is my thing, so today I’m sharing my Apple Pie Breakfast Tacos.
I love this recipe because it’s creamy, crunchy and salty, yet pretty healthy. I prefer to use organic taco shells and Trader Joe’s makes a great option. Whipping the cottage cheese in a mini food processor is the easiest way to create a smooth filling. You can also purchase whipped cottage cheese and the work is done for you. When it comes to the apples, a sweet one is the key. My favorites are honeycrisp, gala, fuji and jazz.
These breakfast tacos can easily become a make ahead meal. Cook up a batch of the apples in advance, whip up the cottage cheese and keep both in separate containers in the fridge and simply add to the taco shells in the morning.
Apple Pie Breakfast Tacos are a sweet, creamy, crunchy, salty and #glutenfree breakfast or snack… Click To Tweet
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced (I prefer honeycrisp, jazz, gala or fuji) about 3.5 ounces
- 1 packet stevia, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon light buttery spread
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese (blended/whipped, see instructions)
- 2 organic taco shells
- Combine apples, lemon juice, ½ stevia packet and cinnamon in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add apple mixture and sauté for approximately 10 minutes until apples have softened.
- Place cottage cheese and other ½ of the stevia packet in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. To avoid this step, simply purchase whipped (spreadable) cottage cheese.
- Divide cottage cheese among the taco shells, then add apples.
- Garnish with extra cinnamon and serve.
Drizzle with honey, sorghum syrup or sugar free maple syrup if desired.
You can also serve apples over reduced fat/fat free ricotta cheese or vanilla Greek yogurt. Add nuts for extra protein and crunch if desired.